Austin Cannabis Etiquette
It’s very illegal to smoke in public. Violators risk a ticket or arrest. However, you’ll smell cannabis a lot in Austin, especially during annual festivals. We don’t encourage law-breaking, but if you choose to partake, don’t light up in places where kids and families congregate. Keep an eye out for police. Veterans recommend being smart, staying out of sight, consuming discreetly, and always, always, always staying on the move.
Trending Cannabis Strains of Texas
Obviously, there are no official sales statistics in a prohibition state. But people in Texas are very interested in cannabis strains, and this is what they’re searching for in Leafly’s strain database:
Top Austin Attractions
- Sixth Street—Relive your college years with a huge strip of bars blasting a cacophony of different music genres. Bar hop. People watch. Don’t get puked on or arrested!
- Rainey Street—Sixth Street’s mature older sister. Food trucks are over there. More bars to hop. Everyone is wearing a sky blue button-down shirt.
- Sunset Bat-Watching Cruise on Ladybird Lake—Get on the lake for some gorgeous vistas of the downtown skyline, and witness several million bats take flight.
Austin Cannabis Pairings
Cannabis at SXSW
Each spring, Austin hosts hundreds of thousands of attendees for South by Southwest (SXSW), a mega-festival of music, film, and culture centered around the Austin Convention Center, and spilling over into more than 50 venues around town. Leafly’s 2019 Cannabusiness track at SXSW includes 44 talks and events. Check out:
- A talk on the future of cannabis by Leafly chief scientist Nick Jikomes, with happy hour to follow
- A live taping of Leafly’s “What Are You Smoking?” podcast
- Tasty beverages and great conversation at the Leafly Lounge
- Other scheduled events include a taping