As of January 1, 2018, Los Angeles became the largest—albeit the most dysfunctional—legal cannabis marketplace in the world. There’s 18.8 million people in the greater Los Angeles area, plus Hollywood, and the music industry, all powering a cannabis culture that influences the globe. But owing to local government stasis, there’s just 135 legal stores.
Stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the San Gabriel Mountains, with the Santa Monica Mountains snaking through the city, Los Angeles is gloriously diverse in geography, architecture, food, art, and culture. It’s too diverse to tackle in one go, or even multiple visits.
The Southern California climate is delightful—most days are sunny and warm, with gentle ocean breezes in the summer. This is the city that gave rise to the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations.” And you’ll find some of the best cannabis in the world here.
Step aside, Frommer’s Guide—Leafly has all the info you need to get oriented. Let’s dive into the sprawling, eclectic center of the City of Angels: Downtown Los Angeles, or DTLA.
Leafly’s Map of Downtown Los Angeles Marijuana Stores
Los Angeles Marijuana Laws
- Cannabis is legal in California for adults ages 21 and up. Bring a valid, unexpired form of ID to get into retail stores
- It’s legal to carry up to one ounce of cannabis flower and eight grams of extract
- You can also grow six cannabis plants
- You can transport cannabis as long as it is unopened. If you’re driving, lock it in the trunk of your car
- No open containers, or half-smoked joints
- No driving or boating high
- Smoking in public can result in a ticket. Smoking in hotels can result in “room cleaning fees” much higher than a ticket from the police